I started planning our summer daytrips before school got out. I had invited several families, but when it came down to deciding when we were actually going, I wasn't feeling a whole lot of interest. We were going to go regardless, though. When I made the initial reservations for the RV factory tour there were 5 of us. I did call them back on Friday and say that there would be 8 and maybe as many as 12. Once we hit the road on Monday morning there were 20 of us!! Good times!!! This trip was sooooo much fun and it definitely made it more fun having such a big group along.
I am dividing this trip up into several posts because I took so many great pictures! I actually took over 200 throughout the day. We left the house to start picking up kids at about 7:15. Our first stop was Lucas, Kansas, about 2 hours and 45 minutes away. This sign was made out of recycled pop cans and other aluminum things.
Some more statues at the Garden of Eden.
Listening to the tour inside the Dinsmoore house. Our tour guide is related to Mr. Dinsmoore as well as his 2nd wife so she had a very special connection. Out of all of the tour guides, she is the only one that is related. We definitely picked the perfect day to go! We ended up getting a group discount since there were 20 of us. The lady asked us if we were a school group, church group, etc. We said that we were friends but most of us go to the same church -- so thus we were a church group.
Our tour guide is on the right. This sculpture cracked me up. There are 48 stars on the flag (even though you can't see them in the picture) because when he made this Alaska and Hawaii weren't part of the US yet. On the left there is a sculpture of a turkey. This is because Mr. Dinsmoore like turkeys better than eagles. In the back of this picture you can see the mausoleum where Mr. Dinsmoore is buried in a coffin with glass over the top of his face so you can see his decomposing body. Fun times!!
Pictures are allowed throughout the Garden of Eden, except in the mausoleum for obvious reasons.
Michael just can't wait to get in there and see the "dead guy"!
Just down the street and around the corner are the fancy artistic bathrooms. This was the sight that Morgan was most excited to see and she was not disappointed!! In the background you can see the cement sculpture of a roll of toilet paper and how it is unwinding - it turns into a winding sidewalk - pretty cute!!
Some of the beautiful artwork inside the women's restroom
Off to the side of the artistic bathrooms was an area with all kinds of funny things which make amazing photo opportunities!
Michael, Cassie, Morgan, Abbey and Maddie.
I just loved the area of American Fork Art - so, so clever!!
Morgan loved this!!
Maddie, Reagan and Morgan with the lovely Lucas sign!
A couple of blocks down the street there was another lovely display of artistic creations outisde. This is where Maddie found this crystal ball!
Maddie posing with some plants!
Reagan, Morgan and Maddie with the mini Mount Rushmore display! Pretty awesome! Before heading out of town, we went back to the Garden of Eden to buy a few postcards to remember this awesome adventure. The girls in my car signed a couple of them which I sent to Marissa.








No comments:
Post a Comment